Sunday, December 16, 2012

Desensitize Me Please!!

I love scary movies. Love them. It's been that way my whole life. My most favorite actor in the entire world is Vincent Price. Coincidentally, Vincent Price is also my all time favorite director. Tim Burton (just a director) is next and then Alfred Hitchcock. Don't know who these guys are? Google it. Now, I don't necessarily let my kids watch these movies for two reasons 1. I don't want to get up at some ungodly hour because of nightmares and 2. I don't want to desensitize them. The second I get a spare chance however, I'm watching a scary movie- or thriller. I like the gore genre just as much as the next person but I don't feel that they're really scary, I prefer more of a psychological thrill with the boo factor. You know the boo factor- there's no scary music but the moment is intense, you're close up to the screen or leaned in- watching carefully for the boogie man and suddenly BANG there he/she/it is! Sometimes you scream, sometimes it just startles you, sometimes both. Brandon doesn't like the horror/thriller genre, which bothers me a bit sometimes but occasionally, I do get him to sit down and watch one with me. I've been known on occasion to also call him to come check the closet or under the bed. Ha ha ha. So here's a list of movies in my preferred genre for a little mommy daddy bonding time.Even if these don't scare you, they're a great excuse to snuggle up to your hubby/boyfriend/whatever.
      
IMDB: The Fields

1. The Fields: Yes, it's on Netflix. It's more of a psychological thriller than what most people would call a horror flick. Our star is a young boy named Steven. He goes to live with his grandparents while his parents try to sort out some marital issues. It's set about the time Charles Manson was arrested and mentions him several times. There are some nearby transient hippies and a creepy guy who works in a nearby milk barn- chaos ensues. The rating on IMDB is low but I think it's because most people just want gore, which this movie doesn't have much of. There is some pretty sailor like language in this movie though, be aware.


IMDB: The Amityville Horror

2. The Amityville Horror. I love this movie and I really think it's a good remake. That's saying a lot as I don't like remakes, at all. It has a lot of shock value and is minimal on the gore.


IMDB: The Messengers

3. The Messengers. Yeah yeah it's Kristen Stewart, I know. I really think she does well in this movie though. Basically her character and her brother are the stars. The little brother hasn't spoken in years due to a traumatic incident before the movie takes place. The mother and father have sold all they own and move far away to buy a new home (your basic old creepy house) and start a sunflower farm- new beginnings and the like but they're not alone in the house.


IMDB: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Another good remake with a high gore value. If you haven't seen it, you should. Basically a bunch of young kids get stranded in a dying ghost town in Texas on their way back from a vacation in Mexico. The townsfolk are hiding a terrible secret and they're all your backwoods scary form of freak.


IMDB: Wrong Turn

5. Wrong Turn. Oh my God. This movie is also very high in gore value and personally I found it traumatizing. So much so, in fact, that I won't watch it alone. It's sort of like number 4. Sort of. The basics are the same, but for some reason it's just much, much more terrifying than any other horror film I've seen. Maybe it's just me but this movie would be at the top of my Scariest Movies Ever list. I just... Ugh, just watch it. Unless you live in the woods. I recommend having cannon fodder other people around for comfort... Just in case.


IMDB: Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

6. Don't be Afraid of the Dark. This movie is great and very low on the gore list- I would say a zero. Do NOT let your small children watch this- it's not for kids and WILL cause nightmares. Our star is a young girl who goes to live with her father while he's renovating a large mansion type house. This house has a lot of secrets, and everyone that knows them is trying to hide them too. When I realize, towards the end what happened to the previous owner I decided this was a must see. The shock value is a ten in this one. I do have to say though that if you're the kind that thinks there's something in your closet or under your bed... You might wanna sleep on the couch after this one.


IMDB: Apartment 143

7. Apartment 143. This is a documentary type horror/thriller. Zero gore again. A team of paranormal investigators come to check out the fathers claim of poltergeist type activity. The mother has died in a terrible car crash. Soon after her death strange things start happening in their home that may or may not be considered dangerous. However, when they move, the events follow them and continue to happen. The investigators document the strange happenings to determine what the cause is. This one was a 5 on the shock value for me, but I'm used to it.


IMDB: Darkness Falls

8. Darkness Falls. This movie is good, I would call it a would be classic for later generations but is not for children. Darkness Falls is a small town where a spirit has taken the form of the tooth fairy to get revenge on the town for what they did to her and only one child has have survived her. It's based on true events, if I recall properly. Feel free to comment and let me know (good or bad) what you thought of any of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment