Friday, January 18, 2013

Drinking Glasses

We've all seen the pins and the videos illustrating how to turn wine bottles or any other type of glass bottle into drinking glasses, or storage. I decided to try it myself. Let me start off by saying that it was easy, but not as easy as the people in the videos made it look! I destroyed several bottles during this process. No, I do not drink this much. Please keep in mind that the ridiculous amount of liquor bottles you'll see me use in crafts did not come from me. The house was a bachelor pad by definition before I moved in with college age guys living here. There's quite a stash of liquor bottles ha ha ha. I couldn't help but try to make these.

Here are the basics of the project, you wrap yarn around your bottle, tie it tight and then slip it back off to soak in acetone. I used nail polish remover, which is acetone if you didn't know, it's just not pure. The table top they're sitting on, if you're wondering, is one I transformed the same night, it will be the start in another post. Anyway, after the yarn is soaked in acetone you slip it back onto the bottle and light it on fire. Slowly turn the bottle until the flame starts to die down and then submerge it in ice cold water. This causes stress on the bottle therefore causing it to crack along the line of yarn. I shouldn't have to tell you this but this project could go awry very easily and I am not responsible for any damage to self, home, or anything else if you mess it up.


I also recommend that if you have a bottle you're just absolutely bent on using, try this several times on other bottles first till you get the hang of it. There are several in my trash can from failed attempts. The breaks aren't always clean either as you can see they're sometimes slightly jagged. Although, I must say that for some reason in my pictures they look way more jagged than they are. I also pretty well destroyed the labels on all four.


Something else you should take note of is that the thickness of the bottle counts. The thicker the bottle the harder it is to snap. I had a grey goose bottle that didn't snap at all but shattered (going to try those again later now that I have a better feel for the project). The Jameson bottles above had to have the process done to them several times. Yet the Skyy bottle (the blue one) was the easiest with the cleanest break. I think it's also the prettiest.


Now, I'll also have to take some sand paper and sand down the squared parts of the glasses but they're really not that sharp, and I'll have to remove the labels obviously. I had hoped to keep the labels on but it just didn't work out that way. Another interesting side note would be that the Jameson bottles also cracked clearly on both sides of my yarn. No other bottle did that quite like the Jameson. It was unusual though I have no idea why- what do you guys think? Comment and follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment