Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Garden Plot

I'm so excited, I've started turning the ground for garden where I'd like it to be. It's in our back yard, fenced in. There's never been a garden here so the ground was hard. Overall it took about 12 hours with a shovel. Breaking it like this will make it easy to use a "claw" type cultivator or hoe to make the dirt finer, if you will. I don't know if you can tell by the photo but in this area we've got a lot of red clay in our dirt. It's not very goof for growing anything really, and it's heavy. I'm going to be buying some bagged potting soil/ seed starter and some top soil to "till" in with fertilizer. I'll be putting the wonderful trellis I found (yep, found) against the fence in the picture, towards the back of the garden for my green beans. Towards the left of the picture there's a good two to two and a half feet of unbroken yard where I'm going to grow carrots and potatoes in tires this year. I've never done this before so I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on how that works. I can't wait to start planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment